Suggest treatment for severe dry cough and inflammation of trachea

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Tests show I have discoloring and inflammation of my trachea. I have had a dry cough and now a strong mucus filled cough for the last 5 years. It is getting worse. Gagging too. Numerous tests show I swallow normally and the pathology reports are clean. Pulmonologist took blood for testing to see if I have some type of blood disease. Any ideas? I am otherwise a 61 year old man. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of tracheitis is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.
Discoloration and inflammation of trachea is known as tracheitis. Most common cause for this viral infection. But since you are having this since 5 years, possibility of bacterial and fungal tracheitis also high.
Some autoimmune diseases like sjogren syndrome, SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) etc can also affect trachea.
First, you should get done bronchoscopy and biopsy from suspected Tracheal area. This will be of great help.
Blood investigations for diagnosis of fungal, bacterial infections an auto immune diseases should also be done.
So can you please tell me
1. Bronchoscopy done or not
2. Above mentioned blood reports are done or not.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 hours later
Bronchoscopy done. Blood reports due back in 10 days. Please tell me more about SLE. Is there a cure or method to management it? Just started Prednisone for 14 days as directed by my doctor to see if this helps. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
SLE is an auto-immune disease.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.

SLE is a type of connective tissue diseases (CTDs). CTDs are also known as auto immune diseases.
These kind of diseases are multi systemic in nature.

Tracheitis is common in SLE.
Basic screening test for all CTD id serum ANA titer.

If this is positive, we should go for ANA profile for detailed autoimmune antibody screening.
Treatment of this is immuno suppressive drugs like oral corticosteroid, methotrexate, azathioprine etc.

So please let me know if you had ANA titer or not and how were the results.

I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
No ANA titter yet but I will share this with my pulmonologist next week.
Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to thanks. I am doing my duty.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients.
I am glad that my advice is helping you.
And no need for thanks as this is my duty.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D