Suggest treatment for severe depression

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I dont know what my problem is
Basically I am disinterested with my life right now.
Waking up in the morning is also a chore now.
Cooking, things I generally don;t enjoy doing irritates me more now.
Planning a vacation also is a uphill task. In fact I suddenly do not even know if I want a vacation and even if do, what should i do over a vacation.
I cry at times for no reason. Ok, my eyes are welling up writing this.
Do you have any solution?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is more likely depression

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcareagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it appears to me that there is ongoing depression which is characterized by sadness, decreased energy, indecisiveness, crying spells, early morning awakening and unrefreshing sleep, loss of interest in almost everything along with decreased activity.

It could be part of other mental health disorders such as bipolar disorder and anxiety if there is any such history in past.

I must assure you that this is largely treatable disorder and you need to see your psychiatrist. He will rn some tests and talk at a length to other possibilities and may prescribe a medication or psychotherapy.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 42 minutes later
I am pretty successful software engineer who loved my job a lot. My clients were always happy with me and I was one of those top rated engineers at my job. I left a job I loved most since I was very busy with little time for myself. I wasn't happy doing that but I did as I am 30, an epileptic and my neurologist said I should not delay planning family anymore considering my health condition. I joined a service industry which is not competent enough for my skill sets. It's been 2 months since I joined the new company and I have been sitting idle doing no creative work at all. I don't know if this is the cause of my problem but if it is , I just don't know how I should deal with it. Being busy is my choice. I can't sit idle like this doing nothing and taking home hefty paychecks for sitting idle. It sucks totally.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for follow up.

We need to understand that being successful is not a immunity for depression and any of us can develop depression. Changing life style or life changing decisions have great impact on your life and so the depression. It is possible that your decision to change the job acted as precipitating factor for onset of depression.

Having said this I should reassure you again that it is treatable condition and there is good chance of complete recovery.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.