Suggest treatment for severe dandruff and itching on the scalp

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am getting to much dandruff, ichying sensation in head. I take bath regularly even then is not cured. Small pieces of follicle skin fall off sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of seborrhoeic dermatitis ( dandruff )

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
Dandruff is a chronic disease and treatment needs to be continued for a long time.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly and apply a lotion containing combination of clotrimazole and beclomethasone on the itchy and flaky areas of the scalp twice daily.
Along with this I would recommend you to take tablet ketoconazole 200 mg once daily after breakfast and tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at bedtime.
This needs to be continued for atleast 2-3 weeks to see significant responses but under the supervision of the doctor.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad