Do irregular bowel movements in a newborn require medical attention?
My Niece is 3 months old.
A.) She gets bowel movements once in almost 3-4days. We feel like she gets uncomfortable with such bowel habit.
1.) Is it ok.
2.) Can we give her MUGLI GHUTTI or GRY WATER for having regular bowel. Or if u can suggest any other remedy for the same or any other product.
B.) She has Cradle Cap on her head. Advice how we can remove it. It looks very bad.
1.) When we try to remove it with comb, tuft of hairs comes off and white patch appears of skin. is it ok to do so.
2.) When feel her hair is not growing becoz of this cradle cap.
3.) Suggest remedy to remove this completely.
Thanks please reply in the same order will be excellent.
Thanks for choosing this platform,
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Here I am trying to answer your query one by one:
During first few months passing stool once in three or four days is quite common and I won't get worried if the baby is feeding well, there is no vomiting, abdominal distension and if the stool is not too hard or mixed with blood.
I would like to know whether thyroid profile has been done for the baby or not as hypothyroidism may cause constipation and that should be treated with thyroid hormone supplementation.
I won't suggest gripe water or janam ghutti as it contains alcohol and various research studies have not shown any remarkable effect. So this is not recommended at this age.
Regarding cradle cap, I want to tell you that again this is very common in young age below 12-18 months of age and it is a self-limiting condition. It gets decreased as the baby grows and usually disappears by 1 year of age. It is also known as infantile seborrhoeic dermatitis and thought to be due to maternal hormone causing increased sebum secretion by sebaceous gland.
You need not worry about that. Applying baby friendly oil like olive oil, coconut oil followed by washing with mild baby shampoo or ketoconazole containing medicated shampoo loosens the scale. Gentle combing thereafter helps in the clearing of scales. Please do not try to remove that forcefully.
If it is very severe so that involving the forehead, neck region, behind the ear area or eyebrows application of mild steroid like hydrocortisone or mometasone helps.
Plucking out of hairs while cleaning is common and you need not worry about that as this not causes much harm and regrowth of hair occurs normally.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
some more question....
1.)There is very bad odour in her stool. is it fine to have such smelly odour in 3month old baby's poop while she's exclusively on breastfeed.
2.)One of lower eye lid of baby remains red and she constantly tries to rub it. Is it something to worry.
3.) can we give her honey.
Foul smelling stool in exclusively breast fed baby can be related to maternal dietary food items like cabbage, spices, broccoli or even dairy products.
Other possibility is anaerobic fermentation of lactose present in breast milk. Giving probiotic like Enterogermina or Econorm helps in maintaining normal gut flora and thus reduces fermentation.
Regarding redness of eye lid, it can be due to irritation of eye by inward curving of eyelashes.
Please get him examined by a doctor to rule out eyelash or other abnormalities.
I won't recommend honey to the baby as it incraeses the chance of infection and exclusive breast feed should be given till 6 months of age.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Irregular bowel movements
- Irregular bowel movement with a yellow jelly
- Irregular shaped bowel movements
- Newborn baby and lazy bowel movement
- Irregular bowel movements and gas
- Irregular heartbeats bowel movement
- Lethargic child before having bowel movement irregular bowel movement cause
- Causes of irregular bowel movement
- Newborn foul gas and no bowel movement
- Irregular bowel movements in women
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting