• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe coughing and pain in ribs while sneezing

Posted on Thu, 4 Feb 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello, my name is xxxxxx. I recently decided to take up BMX racing again and my Very first race I happen to crash of coarse. I didn't have the wind knocked out of me during the crash and didn't really feel to much pain, possible marked up to adrenaline. I did race two more times within two hours after the crash and felt fine, I could tell I might have a little soreness on my right side but it didn't really become painful until a few hours after the races. Now for the last 5 to 6 days its become fairly painful while coughing ( which I've been trying to avoid because the pain) Sneezing is brutally painful during and for a couple minutes afterward. It hurts anytime I try to move in bed or sit upright from a laying down position, I typically have to move extremely slow and use next to no core muscle while rotating positions in bed. Breathing is not painful, but laughing hard causes moderate to painful discomfort, The pain is on my direct right side and carries over a few inches onto my back between ribs 6 to 9. I don't feel any lumps and there is no visible sign of bruising. The area is painful to the touch with moderate finger pressure applied. I understand it may be bruised ribs but everything I've read say breathing would be painful, hence why I wanted a professional opinion
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
X-rays needed to exclude fracture/fissure of rib(s).

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is true that fractured rib(s) are painful, but this is true when displacement between fractured parts exist.

It is possible also fissure (or fracture without displacement) that may cause pain after sharp movements.

Another explanation of that kind of pain is intercostal muscles (muscles that connect ribs) are strained.

There is need for chest x-rays to exclude rib fracture/fissure.

Best thing to do about this kind of pain is rest and avoidance of brisk chest movements such coughing, sneezing etc.

If it is necessary, drugs that control cough and pain such codeine could be used.

Sneezing can be prevented by rinsing your nostrils often with normal saline solution.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical