Suggest treatment for severe cough in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor

my baby is 1 n half month old. while feeding her and when she's having milk she's getting cough. this has started recently. please advise.

Ashwathy
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Occassional cough while feeding is normal - but choking needs attention

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I understand your concern.

I remember about the bluish discoloration of the lips. I would like to know what happened to that. Did you see your Pediatrician regarding this and the echocardiogram I suggested?

Now coming to the question you raised...

Occasional coughing while feeding is common, but when it is so severe that it causes choking, then it needs medical attention.

I have a few questions for you. Revert back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.

Questions -

1. Does the baby cough with every feed?

2. Is there any choking or breathlessness or fast breathing after this cough?

3. Is the baby able to feed after cough?

4. Does this cough occur during breastfeeding or only during bottle feeding (if you are bottle feeding the baby)?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
yes doctor i did meet the pediatrician and after check up everything is normal and baby weight is now 5kg. she was also given 2nd stage of vaccines.
1. baby coughs on almost all feeding
2. no breathlessness after the cough.
3. she starts to drink again soon after cough. but sucks very slowly.
4. coughing occurs on bottle feed and breast feeding too.

please advise
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baby is feeding fast - no worry as weight gain is good

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I understand your concern.

I am happy that everything is normal for the baby.

By what you say I feel that the baby is coughing due to fast and rapid feeding which is the baby's habit. Nothing to worry about it as the baby is gaining weight well and the baby is not choking and becoming breathless.

While feeding by bottle alone - be careful as the milk drips without control (unlike breast feeding) into the baby's mouth and it may result in choking.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth