Suggest treatment for severe cough and gastric reflux

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have thich salava/ spit lying in my throat sometimes. Many times at night when i lie down: however if it happens day or night it makes me cough.. i have learned that if i brush down way back in the back of my throat by my toungsils,, i can then spit the thick liquid from out of my lungs,, the caugh will stop....what should i do...the doctor prescribed me some pantoprazole,,i was just wondering if he heard what i was telling him .
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What you have is gastric reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome to Health care magic,
What you have is gastric reflux.
In some of us, the sphincter (a muscle ring) on the top of food pipe gets loose and the gastric contents regurgitate into windpipe.
While sleeping our cough reflex is dull so we do not cough this out, and phlegm keeps accumulating.
However during day time we cough and spit it out.
Answer lies in eating small frequent meals, exercising regularly.
Also avoid garlic, fizzy drinks, coffee, onions and things which are difficult to digest causing cough.
Your doctor did right, but if you add domperidone or Itopride to Pantoprazole, you will feel better.It will both lower acid secretion and prevent regurgitation.
A trial of Itopride alone may also help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D