Suggest treatment for severe cough and cold

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi
I have experienced sinus pain for the last few days preceeded by a chesty cough and cold, pressure all around my eyes and cheek. These seems to be receeding today but have now noticed a painful lump behind my right ear. I am guessing this is my lymph gland. Is this usual with my other symptoms. I suspect a sinus infection, Will it clear on its own. I have bben battling a cold and sore throats and coughs for most of the winter. I am a robust individual and rarely bother my Doctor. Is it likely I have a virus of some sort.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

If the lump is tender and you noticed it following this upper respiratory infection, most likely it is a swollen lymph node. I recommend putting warm compresses on it several times a day. You can stand by the bathroom sink, warm up a wash cloth with hot water, and keep reheating and reapplying it for several minutes. Do this a few times a day.

If, however, the lump becomes more painful, then do go in to have it checked.

Also, if the lump doesn't resolve with time, then have it checked too.

Regarding battling respiratory infections - I learned a trick when doing pediatric rotation as a student. Our attending doctor told us we could help avoid getting sick by never touching our eyes or nose with our hands unless we had just washed them well and touched nothing else, not even the faucet, after washing. Instead, use a tissue and make sure not to use the part that your fingers have exposed.

I hope this information helps.