• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: constipation issues started 10 days ago. initially duccolax and fleet helped a little, but not normal. situation has continued to deteriorate am experiencing pain, still constipated, am having difficulty drinking fluids. attempted fleet enema, could barely get tip inserted, fluid did not seem to enter, ran down my backside
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take Miralax.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query on HCM!

As enema is not helping i would suggest you to take Propylethylene Glycol Electrolyte (PEG) solution(Miralax).It is a laxative that is used primarily for bowel cleansing.The primary mode of action is through the osmotic effect of polyethylene glycol which causes water to be retained in the colon and produces a watery stool.
This will clear your bowel.If not cleared by that then you have to go for Manual bowel evacuation of finger in which healthcare professional would evacuate your bowel manually.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist