Suggest treatment for severe constipation and lack of appetite

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: My son had surgery Achille tendon he tore it. Now he is on oxycondon and constipated and sick to his stomach can not eat no appetite. He is 46 years old, had surgery 6 days ago. What is something that he could eat and get his bowels working?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More fibers/ water in diet & abdominal exercises would help.

Detailed Answer:

Hi Loladagost ino06,
Thanks for considering HealthcareMagic for answering your query. I have read it & understand your concern.
It's good that your son had the surgery done... It would definitely help in healing. He would have to follow the instructions given strictly & patiently.
His constipation seems to be due to lack of diet , lack of physical exercises& partly due to side effect of Oxicondon..( which can be changed or reduced dose with treating doctor's consultation .. as per need.)given for pain relief
Constipation can be managed by improving his diet .. with more fibers & water intake orally. He has to take more vegetables, salads& fruits for natural fibers. He can try Isabgol granules at bed time with water instead.(Naturolax).
He can use Glycerin suppository / syringe to start with.Even Dulcolax Pill at bed time can be taken till natural bowel movements start.
Doctor would advise for mild movements in due time With help of creches/ stick. Abdominal yoga exercises would help bowel movements.
Positive attitude of patient is essential for good results.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy