Owl Image

Are abdominal exercises safe after a c-section?

Owl Image
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Question
Hello doctor I had my second c section 8 weeks ago.. two weeks after the surgery I had a small tear in the incision which healed well. My first delivery was also a c section. Can I go ahead with abdominal exercises like crunches and sit ups? I have started light exercises at 6 weeks.
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
After 3 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Post caesarean section, heavy exercises like crunches and sit ups should be started after 3 months of the procedure.
This is the time in which the abdominal muscles heal properly and gain their original strength.
If muscles are strained earlier, then they may give away leading to hernia.
I will suggest you to start exercises at 3 months after caesarean section.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist