Suggest treatment for severe cold and cough

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had a bad cold or virus and need to drink water and never have enough. Reason for medication. Is due to a cough discolored mucus
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dehydration?

Detailed Answer:

during the course of an infection, excessive thirst can be caused by various disorders. I'll mention some fairly common ones.

Dehydration is a common cause. This is usually caused by fever. When fever drops the patient sweats and looses water. Many patients also don't drink much because their appetite and energy are lost. This condition may cause dehydration with decreased urine and increased thirst.

Diabetes mellitus... during the course of a disease glucose control gets worse. Even patients who didn't have overt diabetes may experience significant hyperglycemia during the course of an infection. This situation causes increased urine production and increased thirst.

Kidney failure... it presents with low urine output but it may present with excessive urine output (several liters per day) which will cause dehydration and thirst.

Drugs... some drugs may cause or worsen any of the above (as side effects).

To exclude (or confirm) the above you can do blood glucose levels measurement (diabetes), urea and creatinine (kidney failure and dehydration).

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!