Suggest treatment for severe burning sensation around left shoulder blade after injury
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The burning pain is likely neuralgia which is nerve related pain.
This would be due to peripheral neuropathy which refers to abnormal sensations/function due to a change in structure or function of the nerves.
Trauma is one of the possible causes. Other causes are vitamin b12 or folate deficiency, diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease etc
Trauma is a cause because of possible compression of a nerve or break in some aspect of the nerve (may be incomplete or complete break).
Nerves are present in every aspect of the body, they are responsible for sensation and also play a part in movement.
They transmit sensation to different areas
Because he had a severe car accident with trauma to the left side of his chest, it is likely that one of the nerves in this area was affected.
There are medications that can help with nerve related pain eg amitriptyline, tegretol, lyrica, gabapentin
Though these are antidepressants or anti seizure medications, they are also useful in persons who do not have depression or seizures but have nerve related or in some cases, chronic pain.
He can try one of these to see if it helps
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for arm and shoulder pain due to injury
- Suggest treatment for swelling on little finger after an injury
- Have several injuries after falling on back suggest treatment
- Suggest treatment for shoulder pain after an injury
- Suggest treatment for pain around eye after an injury
- Suggest treatment for left sided rib pain after an injury
- Suggest treatment for pain in tailbone after an injury
- Suggest treatment for dizzy spells after an injury
- Suggest treatment for headachesswelling and tenderness after an injury
- Suggest treatment for open lip after an injury