Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

138 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Answered by
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3094 Questions

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hi
My problems started more then a month ago, I started with back pain which within a week turned into servere pain at night could not lie down to sleep. The whole back and right side would seize up I was suffering in immense pain, ended up going A and E when I got there was told a 4 hour wait they then move into the gp section where they checked and the urine had signs of blood and infection. Doctor advised me to go back to the gp next day. I went and doctor prescribed antibiotic for urine infection still struggling with the pain finished the 7 day course and went back to the gp where urine was checked traces of blood were still found. The doctor had mentioned possible kidney stones only three weeks later had the scan come through in between that time I went had one scan done privately to find out no stones detected but they had noticed I do not empty the bladder in full. Also found fibroids and a cyst on top of my right hand kidney.
My question today is what would the treatment be as I have now been referred to a urologist but the appoinment is in 8 weeks time .
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kidney function tests and appropriate treatment of infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I do understand how disturbing this could be. Sending you to the urologist is in my opinion to evaluate why you don't void completely and ascertain the functional integrity of the bladder. An infection on its own cal explain this, as well as back trauma,chronic diseases like diabetes and some medications could also do. Blood in urine can either be of bladdèr origin or of kidney origin. I think it's important to get kidney function tests like serum creatinine levels and urine proteins to evaluate if the kidneys do function ok. It is not rare to find simply kidney cysts in normal asymptomatic individuals. This in my opinion should be a source of panic. It become serious when cysts are large and numerous .

For now, I suggest simply kidney function tests, Uribe culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests, to identify any germs if any and give appropriate anti biotic therapy and a good kidney ultrasound and CT scan again. This shall give us an idea of he kidney size, presence or absence of stoned.

In case you have no abdominal pains, do not bleed excessively or the fibroid identified is relatively small, I think you need not panic of the fibroid.

Knowing the kidney function and treating appropriately any infections remain the most urgent needs now.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.