Suggest treatment for severe back pain while having severe scoliosis

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I hope I don't have to repeat my previous situation, I was speaking with Dr Taka, unsure how to continue that conversation. If I am unable, I will repeat my situation.

I did go to this Spine/Joint Clinic, 2-3 wks ago. I came in with pain level at 10, left with it at 12, cried the entire time. They took several xrays, which were extremely painful, left wih ice pks and some type of electrical stimulation..?? Came bk 1 day later, different Dr, felt he was more interested in my mental vs my physical.Xrays shows severe Throbiac scoliosis(?)..my spine looked like cartoon snake. I have yet to receive any thing for anxiety, sleep or pain. I just feel hopeless, tired and kinda overwhelmed. Hate paying $50 every 5 min adjustment...need 15 now and then 3 yrs to get straight.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication for chronic pain should be considered.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I am sorry that you still aren't feeling well. Severe scoliosis may be a source of back pain. It has already present before, not created by the seizure, but the seizure may have triggered local inflammation and muscle spasms which gave rise to the pain.
The fact the doctor seemed interested in the mental aspect indicates that he/she thought that psychological factors contributed to the pain level as well. That is a possibility, anxiety and depression may increase pain perception which in turn contributes to anxiety and depression, can become a vicious circle, so important to address as well alongside mechanical factors like scoliosis.

It is a little puzzling that you were not given anything apart from ice packs and electrical stimulation. I mean those are fine but given the persistence of the issue I would have prescribed something for the chronic pain. Most common options for that are anticonvulsants like gabapentin, pregabalin or antidepressants like duloxetine, amitriptyline. Given the possibility of psychological factors contributing I would go with an antidepressant which would address both issues, duloxetine is more appropriate as amitriptyline slightly increases the risk for seizures.

Apart from medication physical therapy is very important in order to strengthen back muscles so that the load on the spine is decreased.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 19 hours later
Thank you so much, Dr Taka. I actually feel better after reading your response. I think I was kinda angry or felt dismissed by the mental aspect. However, I totally agree, it really does have a lot to do with the pain/tension. So, after speaking with you again, I have decided to see a medical doctor, let him see my x-rays, go from there. Maybe if I could quit that damn crying all the time, I would be able to speak my mind!! Thank you so much, you really do help me a lot. Sorry to seem so whiney. Sometimes I truly believe a good night sleep would help so much. I pray I can find a Dr that will help me. You have.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hope that you will feel better soon.

Detailed Answer:
Do not worry, you do not seem whiney at all, you seem to have gone through a lot in your life and I can only try to imagine how difficult it must be for you. Hope that you will feel better soon.