Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and sleeping issues

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Ive been reading on anemia. I have severe anxiety and am now taking .25mg xanax when i have an attack. For the past week, i have no energy even after getting enough sleep. What could this be? Anxiety was better last week and i thought it was easing up, now its back and i cant even hardly eat
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

I am sorry you are suffering from so much anxiety.

Xanax is a good medication for occasional anxiety. But as you have anxiety on a regular basis (even if there are some days with less anxiety) I recommend a medication such as an SSRI to prevent the anxiety in the first place. While going on the SSRI, in the first few weeks you may need to continue the Xanax, and then occasionally after that.

Xanax can cause some sedation, so that may be why you have low energy.

But if you haven't had these tests done already, I recommend getting the following blood tests:
TSH and free T4 (for thyroid function)
Fasting blood sugar or A1C (for evaluating blood sugar status)
CBC (to check for anemia)