Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux

Posted on Mon, 17 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I HAVE SEVERE ACID REFLUX CINCE I STOPPED OMPRAZOLE 20 MG AND DON;T WHAT TO TAKE TO GET RID OF IT. I TRIED TAGAMENT AND CAUSED DIRHEIA AND FLUSHED HOTNESS TO THE FACE LIKE A HOT FLASH. CAN YOU HELP? ALSO WHAT SHOULD I EAT?

THANK YOU, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXXXXX

The problem you are having from omeprazole is not uncommon, unfortunately. Omeprazole is a "proton pump inhibitor" type of acid reducer, and this family of medications is known to have the potential to cause a rebound effect when stopping it - by increasing acid production.

Tagamet is an older type of H2 blocker-acid reducer and has more side effects (which you've noted) than another H2 blocker called Zantac (ranitidine). Zantac is usually more easily tolerated than Tagamet, with less side effect risk. Dose is 150 mg twice a day, or 300 mg at bed time. It is sold over-the-counter (does not require a prescription).

In terms of food and lifestyle things you can do:

Food: Avoid eating highly acidic foods such as citrus and tomatoes, avoid mint, avoid very spicy and very greasy foods, decrease caffeine, and avoid alcohol (and tobacco if you smoke).

Lifestye: Eat smaller amounts at a time (if the stomach is full it increases both acid production and pressure on the esophagus) and avoid eating for 2-3 hours before reclining or going to bed. Also, put the posts at the head of your bed on blocks to raise the head of the bed up. This helps decrease acid from coming up while you are in bed. Blocks work better than just using more pillows to raise the top part of your body up, as more pillows bends your body and puts pressure on your stomach. You can purchase these blocks (made for the purpose of decreasing gastro-esophageal reflux) at some drug stores.

These dietary and lifestyle changes may be gradually weaned from a few weeks after you get the acid reflux under control.

If, however, the acid reflux does not get under control with the Zantac and dietary/lifestyle changes, then do follow up with your doctor.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh