Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain, tiredness and diarrhea

Posted on Sat, 11 Feb 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm feeling unwell for a while now symptoms are quite a few, high abdomen pain and tender to touch mostly on the left, tiredness, diarrhoea daily, nausea with occasional vomiting in the morning's, aching legs and ichy rash on feet
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HCM.

I have read your concerns and my answer is as follows:

The symptoms that you have:

-abdominal pain
-tender to touch mostly on the left side
-tiredness
-diarrhea
-nausea and vomiting
-aching legs
-itchy rash on feet

These symptoms correlate with gastroenteritis. Infection/inflammation of the intestines. It might be viral, bacterial, food poisoning etc.

It is normal for these symptoms in the case of gastroenteritis to persist for 3 or even 4 days and sometimes even more.

Your intestines due to the infection/inflammation are moving faster than the usual times. This is the reason why you feel pain. Also due to this movement, you're having diarrhea. Diarrhea happens due to the inflammation inside the intestine.

Your abdominal tenderness, because there is more gas than usual in your intestines. Nausea and vomiting happens for the same reason,your intestines moving faster than usually. Now you might feel cramps on the legs, or in other parts of your body, because due to diarrhea there are imbalance of potassium and other electrolytes.

You need to replace the fluids lost due to diarrhea and the electrolytes for things to get normal fast.

Here are some advice what to do:

- have plenty of fluids.
- soup, broth etc.
- avoid milk
- you can use Probiotics, such as Lactobacillus.
- Oral Rehydration Solutions (ORS)
- a lot of water
- do not apply heat/cold in your abdomen

Usually the symptoms will vanish in a couple of days only.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon