Suggest treatment for severe abdominal pain caused by pancreatitis

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: A 28 Years male patient hospitalizaed with complaints of severe pain in abdomen with irregular Bowels since 2 days and diagnosed to have? Acute pancreatitis with Fatty Liver. As per Investigations – Serum Urea 20 mg/dl, Serum Bilirubin – 2.93 mg/dl, Serum Direct Bili – 1.02, Serum Indirect Bili – 1.91 mg/dl, SGPT 44 U/L, SGOT – 66 U/L, as per USG Pancreas is inflamed shows Acute Pancreatitis with Hepatomegaly with Fatty Changes. GB distended, no calculus seen. Walls are normal. Amylase / Lipase test not done.
Liver is enlarged and shows fatty changes.

Patient was treated with IV antibiotics, antacids, Tab Livadal 300, Cardace 10, Tab Ifapride, Dytor 5.

On discharge advice avoid Alcohol, spicy food.

Patient is having history of occasional alcoholism.

We request you to please opine the probable cause of pancreatitis, whether it is related to Alcohol or any pathological condition. If not becouse of Alcohol then what might be the other cause for pancreatitis in this case.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information inadequate

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

The information provided is not adequate.

If the patient developed severe abdominal pain after a binge of alcohol, then it can be said as the possible cause of pancreatitis in this patient.

The three most common causes of pancreatitis are alcohol intake, gallstone disease and hypertriglyceridemia.
Ultrasound scan is not showing any stone in the gallbladder and no mention is there about the common bile duct. So gallstone disease is probably not the cause.

Lipid profile report is not there to comment on whether hypertriglyceridemia is the cause of pancreatitis.

Information not available about calcium levels, history of blunt trauma of the abdomen which are less common causes of pancreatitis.

CT scan or MRI reports not available to comment on other causes like calcific pancreatitis and developmental anomalies like pancreas divisum.

Dr.R.K.