Suggest treatment for severe Vertigo
vertigo for evaluation.
Vertigo at age of 76 can be because of many reasons, like hypertension, diabetes, brain haemorrhage, stroke, inner ear disease like meneires disease ,bppv. Each disease has different clinical manifestation and different medication. This can be assessed by clinical examination only. If you have been evaluated by the doctor, may I know what the doctor's opinion about the cause was?
Betahistine 16 mg is a vasoactive drug usually prescribed in vertigo cases. As it is not working, I would first want to examine you and rule out if you have any peripheral vestibular lesion (inner ear disease). If yes, then I would have prescribed labyrinthine sedatives like cinnarizine 25 to 50 mg for 2 weeks along with beta histone. I would have advised for audiometry testing to know the inner ear status, blood work ,MRI brain to know about the central pathology.
You can discuss about the aforementioned treatment plan with your treating doctor. There is no over the counter drugs for dizziness.
Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for severe vertigo
- Suggest treatment for sudden hearing loss coupled with vertigo
- Suggest possible treatment for vertigo
- Treatment for vertigo in humans
- Treatment of cervical vertigo
- Suggest treatment for vertigo inspite of using medicines
- Diagnosed with vertigo worsened balance nausea suggestive treatment
- Suggest treatment for vertigo and pain in kidney
- Suggest treatment for vertigo with headaches and dizziness
- Suggest treatment for dizziness and vertigo