question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe Vertigo

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Question: I have severe Vertigo and I am on Teva-Betahistane 16mg., and these pills are not working for me what can I do Please.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
vertigo for evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Vertigo at age of 76 can be because of many reasons, like hypertension, diabetes, brain haemorrhage, stroke, inner ear disease like meneires disease ,bppv. Each disease has different clinical manifestation and different medication. This can be assessed by clinical examination only. If you have been evaluated by the doctor, may I know what the doctor's opinion about the cause was?

Betahistine 16 mg is a vasoactive drug usually prescribed in vertigo cases. As it is not working, I would first want to examine you and rule out if you have any peripheral vestibular lesion (inner ear disease). If yes, then I would have prescribed labyrinthine sedatives like cinnarizine 25 to 50 mg for 2 weeks along with beta histone. I would have advised for audiometry testing to know the inner ear status, blood work ,MRI brain to know about the central pathology.

You can discuss about the aforementioned treatment plan with your treating doctor. There is no over the counter drugs for dizziness.

Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist