Suggest treatment for sciatica

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the best way to treat sciatica ?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Conservative treatment is to be tried first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It depends on the cause of the sciatica (herniated disc disease, bone spurs, etc.), the severity and duration of symptoms.

Initially, conservative treatment is a feasible first course of action to treat the symptoms of sciatica.

Treatment modalities range from anti-inflammatory therapy ( Ibuprofen for example ) to exercises designed to increase muscle strength and relieve joint loading and physical therapy, besides few days rest.

If conservative treatment fails to improve your symptoms, in case of herniated disc disease or spinal stenosis, surgery (decompression) is considered.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee