Suggest treatment for sarcoidosis

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 6 Oct 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi What current available testing can confirm a history of Sarcoidosis and what can be determined by the testing, such as length of time one has had it or any other relavent information about the history of the patient and the disease.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no single definitive test for sarcoid

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your questions,
There is no single definitive test for sarcoidosis. Instead the diagnosis is made by the patient having the following findings:
1)Xrays and symptoms compatible with sardoid
2)Exclusion of other diseases that may have a similar appearance
and
3)Pathology showing granulomas (from a biopsy specimen)
Unfortunately none of this can tell you about how long the patient has had the disease. You may be able to determine that by looking back at old xrays if they are available and finding granulomas on them. How long the patient has had symptoms may also give you an idea of how long they have had the disease.
Dr. Robinson