Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis flare on foot and toes

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have RA and am having a flareup of my right foot and 3 middle toes. I also have several canker sores and red bumps that hurt on my face and a few on my legs and chest. I am running a slight fever (100) and feel like I have the flu. So along with the pain ( I have a large threshold of pain) I feel miserable. The pain is difficult but secondary to the way I feel ....so exhausted and sick. My Rhuematologist is not in his office and I am very uncomfortable with some serious anxiety coming at me. Any ideas to get me comfortable for the weekend. I am not on any medication currently as I have been experimenting with a natural approach. I am 60 years young and female. Thank you so very much.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rheumatoid Arthritis Flare

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, it is good that you have been managing your rheumatoid without medications. Probably the flare of the rheumatoid is due to the viral fever you are running as infections are a known cause of trigger of the disease.

Since you are not on any medication, at this stage I would suggest you start tablet Celecoxib 200 mg twice daily for 3-4 days. That would help settle your pain. Incase it still is worse, a short course of steroids would be helpful( not sure if you can get it over the counter).

But for now try it with Celecoxib and dip your feet in hot water ( 10 minutes, morning and evening).

Hope the information was useful

DO let me know for more queries

Dr Naval