• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 30 years ago (at age 40) and had a severe attack at that time and again 2 years later. I took the prednisone/methotrexate combo and it worked well for me. Continued this rx therapy for approx. 8 years. After being relatively symptom free I stopped taking anything for nearly 22 years ! Now I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and my RA markers have risen, but not terribly. Should I go back on the prednisone/methotrexate as suggested? and if so why? what would be the result if I choose not to do this ? I do have osteoporosis also. Other than these, I am in good health.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will like to see your markers trended over time!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully.

1. I will like to know if this RA is active of not. For this, i suggest we measure markers agin in 1month and then 3months. If they are rising and associated with more symptoms of RA, then getting on drugs is beneficial. This because inaction will lead to continued deterioration and destruction of joints.

2. Because of osteoporosis, any use of steroids has to be measured. Also, you should be on calcium and vitamin D supplement to prevent accelerated bone loss. Exercise often. Stop smoking if you do and keep alcohol to minimum levels.

I hop this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah