Suggest treatment for renal failure

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I was hospitalized with renal failure. Received fluids IV and one dialysis treatment. Was inpatient for 5 days and lost weight from 204 lbs to 176 lbs. Since coming home I drink as much water as I can, 30 oz a day, and have gained weight back up to 185 lbs. My diet is same as hospital, heart healthy, fresh fruits and veggies with mostly chicken and fish but beef and pork every other week. I am insulin resistant. I have no idea how I lost that weight except I was NOT taking my metformin or trulicity while in hospital. A1C is 5.7 just 3 weeks ago. Help if you can. I am 5 ft tall and 61 yr old. I need to get weight down 30 more pounds. I don't know how. This has been a problem since 2011.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care , needs weight loss, renal functions monitoring,

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. With diabetes in picture, renal failure is inevitable and strict monitoring of renal functions and intake out put is required along with efforts to make sure no nephrotoxic agent goes in the body by any means. With 5 feet and 185 pound, you lie in extremely obese patients with BMI of 36 and it needs to be brought down by at least 50 pounds . Slow and gradual decline is recommended. With two metabolic syndromes, old age and renal failure, losing weight will be a challenge. YOu can request for a bariatric surgery as that is therapeutic in losing weight, it will help lower your many comorbidities and also will reduce your insulin resistance and medicine need. Also seek a local nutritionist and let them advise a complete dietary plan for you. 35 to 50 minutes of brisk walk every day is advised. Sign up to an FDA approved weight loss program and let them slowly bring your weight down.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan