Suggest treatment for relative lymphocytosis in a diabetic

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my mother in laws blood work came back and she had a lymphocyte count of 51.2% and was diagnosed with relative lymphocytosis. She also has chronic diabetes. What should we be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She has some kidney disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.
Her reports show high blood urea, high creatinine and high uric acid.
These all suggest some kidney disease.
She should go for ultrasound abdomen also. She needs to take treatment of her kidney disease urgently.

Her complete blood count and almost normal with relatice lymphocytosis. It can be seen in viral infection, other infection or due to non specific cause.
Her liver function test are completely normal.

Nothing to worry about relative lymphocytosis. But she definitely needs urgent treatment for kidney disease.

Consult your doctor and plan accordingly.
Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 10 minutes later
In terms of her blood results and kidney report. How severe would this kidney disease be? Or is it that her kidneys are showing some sign of disease probably from her diabetes? I guess what I am asking is can you tell me if it would be considered mild or severe at this point? And when you suggest an ultrasound for her abdomen, do you mean kidneys? or her entire abdonmenal area?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Her kidney disease is of moderate degree.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
She has kidney disease. It is not mild to ignore and not so severe also. But it is in between category. You can call it moderate degree.

It can be due to diabetes or some other disease.

Yes ultrasound abdomen means specially kidney related. But ureter, bladder and other organ should be checked for any other pathology. So I suggest ultrasound abdomen. But as you say it is mainly focused on kidney.

You should search the cause of kidney dysfunction and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.