Suggest treatment for regurgitation, aortic and mitral sclerosis

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I am a 53 yr old female. Not overweight or hypertensive. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with aortic and mitral sclerosis and regurgitation following an ejection systolic murmur. picked up on routine examination. I have echos every 2 years and the last one in Sep 13 showed no significant changes. The next echo is Sep this year. I am not anxious and mainly forget about it except for this new symptom which is getting worse.For the past few weeks I have been having fluttering sensations in my upper chest several times a day with dizziness. I feel a bit short of breath. The symptoms seem worse on exertion. This has worsened today and I am now scared to move around. I am a registered nurse. I take antihistamines every day and a steroid inhaler for asthma which is fairly well controlled. Should I see a Dr today?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Since you are experiencing a new onset of chest discomfort (fluttering sensation) and dyspnea (shortness of breath), that seems to worsen on exercise. You shouldn't wait for the scheduled cardiologist appointment (September 2015).

I strongly recommend going immediately to ER to exclude any life threatening situation (heart failure, myocardial ischemia etc.). Only after doing that, you can wait for cardiologist consultations (if it’s not possible to do it immediately).

Your symptoms are suggestive for progression of heart valves disease and heart failure. Another disease that should be ruled out is Unstable Angina (new onset angina, myocardial ischemia etc.).

If you were my patient I would recommend doing the following examinations:
- Blood work (cardiac enzymes)
- ECG
- Chest X ray
- Cardiac ECHO
- Stress test
This will help to find out the right etiology of your symptoms.

Hope this was of help!
Wish your health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist