Suggest treatment for recurrent tonsil stones

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I get tonsil stones but also a burning in the left side of my tonsil area to the point it makes me cough like crazy. How can I calm the burning and coughing during an episode?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. If you have frequent tonsillitis than it is advisable to get tonsillectomy done.
Please send me the pictures of your throat so that i can suggest you better.
Use hexidine gargles and take vitamin c tablet once daily. Take an antacid once daily. This will definitely help you.
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
But is there anything i can do stop a cough attack beyond trying to prevent them?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Cough is a reflex. You cannot stop it. You can avoid it by using cough suppressants or treating the cause. in your case the cause is Throat infection. Use hexidine gargles and take steam inhalation. This will definitely help you.
Your pictures show you have chronic enlargement of tonsils. You should consult an ENT SPECIALIST and get them operated.
You are always welcome with any further queries.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 12 hours later
I appreciate your feedback. Can you explain what chronic enlargement of tonsils look like? Also is there a reason that the cough is provoked by certain foods or my tongue touching the tonsil?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic tonsillitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The appearance of your tonsils is typically of chronically enlarged tonsils.
Tongue can't touch the tonsils and cough can surely be provoked by food items if someone is allergic to it or due to some dust particles or even dry air.
you are always welcome with any further questions.
Thanks and regards