• question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent panic attacks

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a paid attack during the night ( first one ever at night). I took a xanax .25 mg but it did not help much. At 11:00 am took another xanax I feel ok but tired and I hate feeling like this. I was taking mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant (7mg) at night but stopped because it made me groggy. Should I try that again and just take the xanax during the day.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Panic attack

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM

I do understand your concern

“As” per your question is concerned you can take [mirtazapine] at night if already taken before because it is also an antidepressant and for dose for panic attack is 15 mg at bed time so discuss with your doctor about it and no need of [Xanax] at day time.

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
She only gave me the mirtazapine to use an an appetite stimulant. I took just 7mg one night and I was groggy for most of the morning but perfectly calm. If the 7mg made me feel that way, what will the 15 mg do?

I am 69 years old and weigh about 100 pounds. Does this affect the amount of mg.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Panic attack

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up reply

“As” per your reply I may say that you can start with 7 mg at bed time and if it works then no need of 15 mg. If any dose change required then you can change after one week if required.

Thanks
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo