Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
My 1 year old was prescribed ercefuryl for diarrhoea and vomiting by a pharmacist (we are on holiday in Uzbekistan at the moment). It seemed to work after he took it 3 times a day for 5 days. Now 7days past and his diarrhoea came back. He started to poop even while sleeping at night. On average he is pooping again 3, 4 times a day. Where as when we are in our home in Uk he used to poop only once a day. Should we start giving him Ercefuryl again????? Or smth else?? Smecta do not work ...
Child specialist's advise & self care would help.
Thank you for the query.
I understand your concern.
The recurrent diarrhea in a one year child can be infective,lactose intolerance, or teething problem.
* Infection can be bacterial or viral.
- Viral infection of bowels takes about 15 days to cure. Apart from symptomatic treatment it is important to keep the child well hydrated.
- Bacterial diarrhea needs proper antibiotic ,given for sufficiently long course,along with good hydration of the child.
* * Breast feeding or ORS is a good option for hydration.
*Food intolerance - here there is bloating abdomen,discomfort,& diarrhea.
- Food allergies need to be confirmed by specialist's consultation & investigations.
** You have moved out of your place on holiday- babies food needs to be tested for pollution/intolerance.
- in case of intolerance lactose free/ gluten free food is recommended by specialists.
* Teething - looking at the age of your child I feel it to be more possibility.
-here it is recurrent infective diarrhea- due to babies tendensy to bite any thing that he scan-toys, cloth, food articles, anything lying on carpet/floor- this causes repeated infections.
- the precaution to be taken includes
.- keeping the things in baby's reach clean/boiled clean if possible,
- give calcium supplements to baby,
- good hydration,
- Suitable Antibiotics with doctor's advise.
** You should consult a children specialist for physical examinationof the baby followed by investigations as per need
- usually stool examination ( routine,microscopic) & culture is needful, testing for food intolerance & pollution.are advised
- After pin pointing the cause specific treatment can be advised.
**On personal level you have to-
- Maintain good hydration of baby as per doctor's advise.Use only boiled water or breast milk.
- Keep the articles in baby's use including toys clean/boiled. This will help repeated infection.
- stick to drug schedule/ dietary instructions if any, as per doctor's advise.
I hope the answer is informative & useful to you.
any further query is welcome
Child specialist's advise, light diet, hygene .
Thank you for your follow up query.
I understand from your follow up query that few family members also had same problem & were relieved by Ercefuryl like your baby.Ercefuryl is a broad spectrum anti infective medicine used in diarrhea. This indicates the infection to be bacterial.
You are worried about repeat symptoms in your son.1 year baby is delicate- yet to develop strength & resistance against diseases. That's why they need more care in disease itself & also after recovery so as to gain original health.
In bacterial infection, intestines are inflamed . After symptoms disappear, they need rest for few days ,to regain normal digestion.
1) In my view, the repeat loose motions your son has, can be due to-
* over strain to weak intestines due to excessive food intake.,Food in small amount ,light & easy to digest is advised.along with boiled water & ORT.
- You can increase water content of formula milk & give it in smaller amount & more frequent to help digestion. Similarly boiled rice is easy to digest. Curds/butter milk can be given.
- Fruits /juice tend to hasten bowel movements & increase loose motions.
*Repeat infection due to - improper hand washing by food handlers,(not the feeders as you are doing it yourself.)/ self infection by fecooral rout by resistant strain of bacterias.
2) So the cause of repeat diarrhea in the small one can be either-
- Bacterial reinfection,viral, post diarrhea digestive problem.
3) I would advise you to consult a children specialist, Doctor may get his stools examined to differentiate viral/bacterial diarrhea.
- Though Ercefuryl is a good medicine for bacterial diarrhea , if the symptoms this time proves to be bacterial origin, doctor may change the drug to cover possibility of bacterial resistance.
- Lactobacillus preparation & digestive enzymes help easy digestion & early recovery of intestines.
- Give medicines prescribed by doctor regularly & for the period advised.
I hope this satisfies you. Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea and peeling skin
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea and vomiting
- What treatment is suggested for diarrhea and vomiting
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea caused by metranidazole
- What treatment is suggested for diarrhea
- Why am i getting recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea when on zoloft
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea with sinus
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?