Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for recurrent UTI

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5972 Questions
hi doctor, i am 33 yrs married 3 years back my weight is approx 70 kilos. my problem is i am having recurrent urine infections / UTI which causes bad itching in vagina and my anus also keeps itching. i think almost every month i am suffering from this infection from past 2 years. i am highly fed up with this as i am unable to cope up with it. i am suffering from hypothyroid from 6 years. what may be the cause of this recurring infections. i am maintaining complete hygiene. my husband has no infection ever till now. pls do reply.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Recurrent UTI is defined as more than two episodes in 6 months , or more than 3 in a year. If you are having one almost every month, then it definitely qualifies as recurrent UTI. There could be various reasons for this. The first is due to sexual intercourse, as women have a short urethra, and are prone to UTIs if perineal hygiene is not meticulous. You should wash thoroughly and pass urine after every act of intercourse. Also do not rub, scrub, itch , scratch or handle the area excessively. Just clean with warm water and XXXXXXX dry gently. Also, do not use any soaps, gels, cleansers or douches. Drink lots of water as a routine - 5 litres of fluids daily. Deworm yourself, as it could be a primary anal infection. Untreated hypothryoidism also predisposes to infection. Get your vitamin D levels checked, as vitamin D deficiency in itself predisposes to recurrent UTIs. Your blood sugars should be tested to rule out diabetes. A renal ultrasound scan and complete urine analysis should be done to detect any stones / abnormalities in the urinary tract which predispose to recurrent infections. Take proper urine culture based antibiotics as wrong / incomplete treatment can also lead to resistant UTI. Also, empty your bladder more frequently ( avoid holding urine for prolonged period ) and avoid using public toilets. Get a gynaecological opinion to rule out a lingering pelvic / vaginal infection which could cause UTI . Cranberry juice is effective in fighting against UTI. IN general, maintain an ideal BMI and exercise regularly and eat sensibly to maintain good immunity to fight infections. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent UTI 29 hours later
thank you so much for your reply mam. now yesterday i visited another doctor who said after going thru my previous presciptions that i am being treated for vaginal infection. mam i am not understanding what is uti and what is vaginal infection. pls do clarify and guide me accordingly on vaginal infections how to avoid and it do's & dont's. thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Can you upload your previous prescriptions so that even I can have a look ? Vaginal infection is infection of the genital tract, and UTI is urinary tract infection , infection in the urethra, bladder or kidney. Both are quite different. For vaginal infections, the same precautions should be taken. A thorough gynecological evaluation with vaginal swab and culture should be done. Next, antibiotics accordingly should be taken. You and your husband should be screened for sexually transmitted diseases. Keep private parts clean, without using any soaps, gels or cleansers. Just clean profusely with lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry gently. Clean yourself after every act of intercourse. Have protected sex till infection subsides. All the best. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor