Suggest treatment for rashes on the legs and arms in a child
Treatment is fine. Continue for 2 weeks
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist).
I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.
I can see dry, red, bumps and patches on neck, back and groin folds. I would keep a possibility of Seborrheic dermatitis rather than Atopic Dermatitis. In infancy, Atopic Dermatitis is a close mimic of Seborrheic dermatitis.
The involvement of groin folds with dry, scaly patches is particularly characteristic of Seborrheic dermatitis rather than Atopic Dermatitis.
Is his scalp also involved ? with adherent greasy scales/ dandruff?
Seborrheic dermatitis too is managed on the same lines as Atopic Dermatitis i.e topical steroid cream and oral antihistamine.
I agree with the treatment plan and I suggest you to continue the same for 2 weeks.
Desowen cream is a very mild steroid (desonide 0.05%) and is safe for use in infants and children. It can be safely used for 3- 4 weeks or even longer if required
That cradle cap is actually Seborrheic dermatitis on scalp. I think his skin involvement too is part of the same condition.
you may apply desonide cram even on the scalp, twice daily.
Thank you. I have viewed the images.
Seborrheic dermatitis can have a few relapses but ultimately it resolves with time..winters and cold weather may bring in a flare whereas summers and humid weather are usually good.
The red patches on upper eyelid and cheeks are also part of the same condition. You may use Desowen cream( desonide 0.05%) over these patches on face and upper eyelid. Use it once daily when he is sleeping so that he doesn't rub. I think these patches would be fine within a week or 10 days. Thereafter you may discontinue the steroid cream.
There are non- steroidal alternatives for Seborrheic dermatitis like pimecrolimus 1% cream and ketoconazole 2% cream but they are approved only for children older than 2 years.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for skin rash
- Suggest treatment for rash on arms and back
- Suggest treatment for nappy rash
- Suggest treatment for pin prick rash on face and arm
- Suggest treatment for diaper rash
- What is the treatment for rashes on arms and legs
- Suggest treatment for weeping legs and with rash
- Suggest treatment for rash on penis
- Suggest treatment for constipation in a child
- Suggest treatment for arm pain
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body