Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for premature graying hair

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
dear Doctor I am 25 years old since a couple of years I started having grey hairs now it is a few noticeable.. pls suggest
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Premature canities Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand the concern for grey hairs at the age of 25 years. Early greying of hair is known as "Premature canities". Our hair roots contains color forming cells known as mealnocytes. These continuously secretes color into the hair shaft. During aging process after the age of 30 years these stops functioning in a skewed manner and accordingly the hair becomes grey slowly. If at all this process appears early then we call it as Premature canities. Till now there is no exact cause has been identified but many times stress, dietary imbalance or any log term illness is considered to be an underlying important causes. Many a times the scalp hair color is basically genetically mediated so it depends on family pattern also in some persons. For the prevention part- You can take vitamins in the form of biotin, calicium pantothenate and other vitamin B complexes. Multivitamin tablets contains all these essential nutrients and zinc with above mentioned vitamins, so you can take it. Additionally increase you protein intake on daily basis and eat sprouts. Eat a lot of green leafy vegetables and sprouts which contains vitamins and minerals necessary for normal hair function. Very lately, a gel is now available in the market which contains "melitane" (commercially available as Altris gel) a new compound launched to prevent premature greying. It contains a peptide which stimulates the pigment producing cells of hair. You should consult a dermatologist and take guidance so that long term use can be maintained. I hope this information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor