Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
130 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for plantar fasciitis

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 1313 Questions

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What is the treatment for severe plantar fasciatis.Is surgery needed or maybe just an injection
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends upon severity

Detailed Answer:

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Most patients who have plantar fasciitis recover with conservative treatments in just a few months. Treatment options include medical, therapies & surgical. As you have mentioned that you have severe disease so surgical therapy will be the option.

a. Medical therapy includes: Pain & anti-inflammatory medicines.

b. Therapies:
It includes stretching and strengthening exercises including use of night splints & orthotics.

c. Surgical & other options:

1. Injecting a steroid medication into the tender area which can provide temporary pain relief.
2. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy:
In this procedure sound waves are directed at the area of heel pain to stimulate healing.

3. Surgery to detach the plantar fascia from the heel bone. It is generally an option only when the pain is severe and no other management is helping.

> Lifestyle modifications:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Choose supportive shoes. Avoid high heels.
- Apply ice. Hold a cloth-covered ice pack over the area of pain for 15 to 20 minutes three or four times a day or after activity. Regular ice massage can help reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Heel pain

doctor1 MD

i have heel pain , it appears that some bone is paining at the corners of the heel, & then the pain spread to whole heels & rises upto knee, some...

doctor1 MD

what can i do about the pain cause by heel spur YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

I have had reoccurring heel pain , first in the right, now I'm experiencing it in the left. Have seen a chiropractor who helped by relieving some...

doctor1 MD

I have severe headache, neck pain, low back pain, heel pain , hand wrist pain....this came on this afternoon , up to then had felt OK. I have...

doctor1 MD

sir i am 60 year old and i am having heel pain. i am also suffering from canal stenosis. Dr. have advised me Febuget 40. Should i take it. Today I...

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from heel pain for last around 8 months. I have taken treatment from orthopedics, who have prescribed several medicines with finally...

doctor1 MD

Having pcod and irregular cycles. I am 30 years old. had multiple joints pain (heel pain and knee stiffness, pain) since 3 weeks. Took blood test....