What causes reoccurring heel pain in an elderly person?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had reoccurring heel pain, first in the right, now I'm experiencing it in the left. Have seen a chiropractor who helped by relieving some of the pain, but it took a couple of months. A co-worker mentioned "aphasia (sp?). That only stretching exercises could help. I'm soon to be 73 years of age; probably has something to do with it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be plantar fasciitis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in heels can be due to a condition called plantar fasciitis. Its one of the commonest reason for heel pain. Pain in morning and improvement on walking for some time is its classical presentation. The initial treatment with anti inflammatory medicines with rest and cold fomentation works fine for most of the patients. Cortisone injection is a good mid to long term treatment.
Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia. Do toe stretches, calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad