• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pin sized bump on the gum

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I have a small pin sized bump on the gum of a 2nd molar that was extracted about 4 months ago. Took a long time to heal after extraction. Kept feeling like food was getting in the socket. The tooth previously had a root canai but cracked below gum line and had a small infection at the time of extraction. Stitches were used during surgery. Saw the oral surgeon a few times, most recently about two months ago. He said it was healing well. The bump is sore when pushed. What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get an x ray done..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

A bump over the gum at the extraction site of a tooth that was extracted 4 months ago is not a normal finding..

There is a possibility that any root piece is left in the socket un-extracted that can cause recurring episodes of infection..

So my suggestion is to get an x ray of the area done to check for any root piece of foreign body left in the extraction socket..

As of now you can apply Lidocaine gel over the sore and do warm saline gargles..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
The oral surgeon did an xray a couple of months ago because of my complaints about feeling like food was getting trapped in the socket. At the time i did not have the bump. Lookin at it in the mirror it appears like a small whitehead or pimple. Not red or hot, just a bit sore. No other signs of infection. Is there any home treatment as i do not want antibiotics. Not back home until early September, can this wait? Would it clear up without treatment?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need x ray to rule out.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
If it looks like a pimple then it is probably a small abscess due to infection..
If you can upload your x ray I can guide you better..
For now you can apply Chlorohexidine gel over the bump, gargle with antiseptic mouthwash and do warm saline gargles..
If it is sore you can apply Lidocaine gel over it..
See for a week, whether it improves..
Let me know how it improves in a week..

Please let me know for further queries..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist