Suggest treatment for persistent vomiting in a diabetic post intestinal obstruction recovery

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: my husband is diabetic, recently in the hospital for an intestinal blockage-they put an ng tube down his nose. Hes now home, food not staying down, vomiting green. Can u help me?

He also was instructed to tale 2 tblsp magnesium hydroxide 450 mg/sml susp. at bedtime for constipation

can it be a hiatal hernia causing the problem? He went into AFIB in the hospital at one point last week-thus the metoprolol, so they want him to get a colonoscopy this week before giving him blood thinners for his heart.

hes having these like hiccups often too

hes rapidly losing a lot of weight, very weak. He was a robust 220 or so last month, has lost about 35 lbs.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Re-admission, investigations and proper treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
Read and understood the problems your husband is suffering from.
I could not understand the reason he should have been sent home when there is bilious (green) vomiting, loosing weight, and so on. This indicates that he is still having the intestinal obstruction. The same thing causing hiccoughs.

There may or may not he a hiatus hernia, this can be diagnosed by upper GI endoscopy alone.

I would advise you the following in such a situation.
Admit him again, investigations to find the cause and get treated properly.
Unless the cause of the obstruction is found and dealt with there can not be any improvement.
Contrast study of the intestines to find the cause.
Tests of blood must have been done, particularly to see that the kidney and liver functions are normal.

Please give feedback related to the investigations done, the cause of obstruction if found and the treatment offered till now.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.