Suggest treatment for persistent swelling in the right foot

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: About 3 days ago, started having swelling of my right foot - mainly in area immediately below my ankle - particularly on sides and somewhat on top of foot. Today it also itches slightly. Could this be gout? Other cause? Recommended treatment? Perhaps should also mention that around same time, experienced slight ache in bones/tendons in upper foot, between toes and ankle.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling in one foot with no history of injury to the area can be due to an inflammation. It can be due to arthritis or gout.
For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal