Suggest treatment for persistent shoulder pain

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 52 years old, I am suffering from shoulder pain since last one month. I am doing the regular physiotherapy and doing exercise. but i have severe pinch pain from shoulder to left hand. I am also taking re nerve pluse for alternative days. perhaps the pain is not yet gone. please advice suitable treatment
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is important but it needs to evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query and understand your concern.

As you have mentioned you have pain in your shoulder to left hand which is not responding to physiotherapy and exercise.

Here, I would like to know that whether you have any history of diabetes or thyroid illnesses or any injury to that joint.

There could be several causes of shoulder pain such as rotator cuff injury or tear or rotator cuff tendinitis (inflammation of its tendons).

The initial treatments for all these are,

1. Avoid repetitive overhead activities

2. Do not carry any heavy object or bag on affected shoulder or arm.

3. Apply ice packs for about 15 minutes twice or thrice daily.

4. If you have learned how to do shoulder exercises then continue with that it's could be effective .

5. Apply diclofenac based topical ointment which is more effective than paracetamol based.(available over the counter)

6. Can take oral pain killers if pain is very severe.

7. There is no harm in taking Re-nerve Plus,as it is just a multivitamin supplement which is good for nerves (more useful in diabetic patients).

If still pain is persisting then proper examination of shoulder joint is required to find the exact cause and if needed x ray and MRI should be done.

You can consult nearby doctor or orthopedician who can write X-ray and MRI of the shoulder after taking complete history and thoroughly clinical examination.

Hope this information will help you.

If you have any query then feel free to ask me.

Thanks and Regards,


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Answered by
Dr. Sandip Kabra

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3078 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Multivitamin

doctor1 MD

I have slight PCOD. I am 37 years. Doctor advised me to take Obimet SR 500 mg twice a day alongwith Ovacare and B vitamin tablet Nurac HR. What are...

doctor1 MD

i get slight pain in abdomen upon orgasm but no sperm comes out. what is wrong? i am 64 years old male. 5'11 220 lbs.i do take symbicort[3 puffs...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is Benjamin Perfect. I am currently taking 10 mg of generic Celexa every morning. My doctor has also tried to get me to take...

doctor1 MD

hello doctor i have a two yr old daughter. i am still feeding her breast milk and so i have not started her on whole milk or lactogen. secondly as...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My wife is 12 weeks pregnant now. She is suffering a lot with constipation though she is try to take a lot of water as advised. COuld...

doctor1 MD

I am 45 days pregnant and i already have 1 child who is 2 years old. Myself amd my husband have not planned for the second child so we want to...

doctor1 MD

I am a 49 yo female. I have had external hemorrhoids in the distant past. I pass a large (long), snakey, formed stool daily. The terminal part of...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

176 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction