Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the tooth

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,my name is XXXX at the moment I am experiencing a tooth pain that won't go way. The pain is basically in my jaw which also seems to travel to my eye and neck..What should I do at this point... Pills are no longer helping..My jaw feels to be tighting up a little
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain pain in jaw that is radiating to eye and neck can be either related to any decayed tooth or can be due to due to jaw joint related problems..

Please provide the following details so that I can guide you better..

1. Do you ave any decayed tooth or a hole in tooth or black discolouration in tooth and is the pain in upper jaw or lower jaw?
2.Is there any swelling in cheek present?
3.Is the pain always present or does it occurs on chewing?
4. Do you have any clicking sound in ear when chewing or opening and closing the mouth?
5. Do you have reduced mouth opening or pain on opening the mouth wide?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 9 minutes later
yes I do have a decayed tooth the pain is on my right side, which I have tooth at the top in the back that has broken into my gums and one at the bottom where one is chipped my gums seem to be some growing over the chipped bottom one..the pain is mostly in my lower jaw area.. which sometimes have the whole right side of my face hurting..no popping or clicking noises
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain is due to decayed tooth only..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..
As per your explanation, the pain is due to decayed teeth only and pain in ear and neck is radiating pain from the decayed tooth site..

You should consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and get x rays of the decayed teeth done.

If teeth cannot be saved which looks to be apparent with your explanation then extraction of the same should be done..

If there is any chance of saving the tooth/teeth then Root canal treatment will be done..

Either of the treatments will be followed by a course of antibiotics and painkillers..

As of now you can take anti-inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen or Naproxen for pain relief..
Take soft diet..

Hope this information helps..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 4 minutes later
no pain medicine is helping at the moment....but thanks
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go for injectable pain relievers..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

In case if painkillers are not helping you then you can consult an Emergency service and get injectable painkillers..

Also you can get higher painkillers that can help in relieving severe acute pain like Tramadol, Ketorolac etc..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng