Suggest treatment for persistent light ear pain

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have experienced a dull ear pain - off and on - for the past 3 months. I've tried a few times, holding my nose & blowing to open, perhaps, a clogged passage. Many times a 'cold' turns into a sinus problem, but always seems to clear up in a few days. I currently do not have a cold, but am bothered by this ongoing intermittent pain. Would you have any recommendations regarding this ear problem?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs decongestants, anti histamines and antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, as you have rightly picked up, it can be due to blocked eustachian tube which is causing pressure symptoms. Sinuses and middle ear both drain into nose through small tubes and upper respiratory tract infections may cause inflammation and blockage of these tubes causing pressure symptoms, congestion and inflammation of sinuses or pains inside ear due to retraction of ear drum or inflammation. However using nasal decongestant sprays and steam inhalations may give symptomatic relief. Using early antibiotics therapy with augmentin or azithromycin may be associated with early recovery. using anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine and anti inflammatory medicines may also help with congestion and pains. An ENT specialist consultation to look for any treatable causes through surgical intervention may be discussed to due to frequent attacks in your case. Chewing a bubble gum at affected side may also help to open the tubes towards the same side. Dont use ear drops wothout a detailed ENt examination. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 14 hours later
Thank you very much, Dr. Ulabidin, for your valued information. I will follow up with an ENT examination, as per your advise.

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the encouraging remarks. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any query in future, you can contact me directly through my profile. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T