Suggest treatment for persistent dizziness, blurred vision and fullness in ears

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 10 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have been dizzy all time , blurry vision fullnesss in ears , lightheadness and pressure in forehead. my mri said incidental finding of sinus inflammation no medication has helped only meclizine has helped a little bit my symptoms are still there please help
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
When we catch cold, the mucus gets thickened. This mucus clogging the sinuses can lead to sinus inflammation or sinusitis. It may lead to headaches. There is a connection between the inner part of throat and the middle ear cavity. The blockage of this tube by mucus may lead to pressure differences in the middle ear thereby giving the feeling of fullness of ears. It also affects the inner ear which is responsible both for the perception of hearing as well as the balance. Hence dizziness may occur. Thus, your symptoms correlate.
I would suggest you to take steam inhalation a few times a day. Water in the form of vapour would reach deep into the sinuses and would help in diluting the mucus and would thus provide relief. This would be the mainstay of treatment. You may take some antiallergic like cetirizine or meclizine for a few days since such infections are associated with an allergic reaction which causes the mucus to thicken.
Hope that helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
im using a sinus rinse, infact its my second day using it, im also taking some immuplex to build up the immunity i wonder if that gonna help please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please continue the sinus rinse. But steam inhalation would be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Even though you are using sinus rise please do not assume that you are able to reach all the deep pockets. Although sinus rinse would be helpful, it would only be in part. You can take immuplex. It is supposed to be an immune modulator but it is not proven whether it actually works.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Thanks doctor, i remember i had two of my upper cannines teeth removed, and from that day, thats when all this problems started, could the teeth removal have contributed from sinus infection or any complication, because both canine teeth were in the very upper part. please let me know. Also why is it when i take meclizine antihistimine i feel way better could i have alot of histamine in the body that causes all this problem. note all my blood work is ok
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meclizine relieves the allergic component involved

Detailed Answer:
I do not think that the extraction of your canines had anything to do with your sinus infection. I have already mentioned that there is an allergic component involved. Meclizine is an antiallergic and hence provides relief.
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Thanks Dr, which is the best way to end all this raging symptoms and cure my disease? coz meclizine helps for a few months then symptoms come back again. my most bothersome symptoms are Dizziness, blurry vision, lightheadness and some physcological symptoms like anxiety and the list is endless, but meclizine subsides most of the symptom once i take dosage for 3 times aday for ten days, Remember, this symptoms started way back in 2006 and has been there on a daily basis all other tests have been done and checked ok.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis is hard to treat.Avoid cold.Take steam inhalation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sinusitis is hard to cure as the blood supply is poor and medicines hardly reach there. Steam however can. Check out with an ENT Doctor whether some surgical intervention is required. Otherwise steam would be the best intervention.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 36 minutes later
Thanks Dr i will take steam inhalation and see how it works, according to my mri report it said patchy ethmoid mucosal disease bilateral. do you think surgical intervention should be put in place? do you think its the one causing all this symptoms im going through? one of my doctors said patchy ethmoid on my mri report cannot cause all this symptoms because its a minor thing
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need no surgical intervention at the moment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking back. It is quite definite that there is a sinus pathology (bilateral patchy ethmoid mucosal disease). So, the problems and the pathology correlate. Had the patient been clinically fine and problem free, perhaps it would have been considered a minor thing. But in presence of the symtoms, we would have to assume the pathology of the mucus membranes of the ethmoid sinuses to be related. Unless there is associated deviated nasal septum or some other pathology, surgical intervention is not requried and steam inhalation should be your primary resort. You can report back to me after a fortnight or a month after observing the progress.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Thanks doctor, i will let you know after a month or so i thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
In case you found my answer to be helpful, I would request you to close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.

Wish you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj