Suggest treatment for persistent cough, vomiting and abdominal bloating

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Twice now my partner had an episode. Has had a cough for about six months, the cough will increase, becomes nauseous and thriws up quite violently, gets hot sweaty. Has an enlarged thyroid waiting for a biopsy which they will do by needle on March 8! I am worried it could be heart. The only medication he takes is Viagra and cialus, he is quite thin and I do believe he does not have a great deal of muscle mass.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
hello,
It doesn't appear to be a cardiac problem.
The first and likely possiblity is compression and irritation of trachea by enlarged thyroid leading to cough. Excessive cough leads to vomiting, this is also called as post tussiv vomiting in medical terms. He should get one ultrasound neck, to confirm retrosternal extension and compression of trachea. In treatment, definitive is removal of thyroid or its treatment. So not to worry because vomiting can follow any cough. Other causes of cough should be ruled out by clinical examination. If puff is helpful in cough then should be continued. Also, you can get some syrup like XXXXXXX 2 teaspoon prescribed for cough. For vomiting he can have Tab emeset 4 mg whenever needed.
Another possibility is acidity and reflux disease especially if he having upper abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, burping, increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in throat or chest burning, if yes it further supports the diagnosis. He should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any. You can get prescribed tab Pan DSR 40 mg beforebreakfast once a day for 2 weeks. get back if you have any further doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 50 minutes later
I did forget to mention that the nausea and vomiting lasted for a couple of hours and he was not at all comfortable laying down. Could testosterone levels be the reason for viagara, I do not believe it has ever been tested. Is it just a blood test to determine! Thank you for your quick reply!
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See the description

Detailed Answer:
yes, he should have one ultrasound and have tab Pan DSR as well, and look for the response.
Low testosterone could be the reason, so get the serum total testosterone concentration done in the morning (8 to 10 AM). If it is less than 300 ng/dL (or 10.4 nmol/L), it had to measured twice to confirm, since testosterone concentrations fluctuate.