• question-icon

Suggest treatment for penile swelling while suffering from staph infection

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have been hospitalized for a week with a staph infection in my blood. When discharged I noticed some water retention in mympenis. My primary care doctor prescribed Lasix which seemed to help, but the problem has returned. What should I do? Ps- I am 80 and have not had sex in years only tried to masturbate but gave up.
Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think it is just a tissue swelling since it responded to Lasix.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
Please do not worry. I think it is just a tissue swelling since it responded to Lasix.
I think Torasemide 5 mg once a day will be safer for you to continue for some time so that there is no recurrence of swelling.
Or continue with Lasix 20 mg alternate days.
However you need to monitor serum electrolytes and uric acid with both.
If no improvement, you can get a local sonography done--
Please discuss this with your doctor.

regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Geeta Sundar