Owl Image

Suggest treatment for painless bruise on hand

Owl Image
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Question
I have a brusise on my arm, not knowing how it happened, and seems to be getting larger, no pain, and is increasing in size and color. I am 73 and feel well otherwise.
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be senile purpura.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based upon clinical history and query, my opinion is as follows:

1. In the elderly, blood vessels become thin walled and fragile. Even minor trauma can lead to bruise or petechiae due to associate fragile nature of skin and skin fragility.

2. These are called as senile purpura and vary in size from few mm to cm. Minor bruising is normal. Medications (NSAIDS - aspirin painkillers, thiazides), can increase risk or dietary deficiencies can also lead to bruise.
Fish oil, ginger, garlic have blood thinning effect and can also increase risk of purpura.

3. You need to take a diet rich in Vit A and C. Take good quantity of fluids, and avoid skin dryness. Use mild soaps. Frequent change in position is necessary to avoid damaging at same site. Prevention plays a very important role.

4. These lesions are painless and as they heal, the color changes from red to brown to black. Finally it slowly disappears. Repeat bruise will take much longer.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM