Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for painless bruise on hand

User rating for this question
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2138 Questions
I have a brusise on my arm, not knowing how it happened, and seems to be getting larger, no pain, and is increasing in size and color. I am 73 and feel well otherwise.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It appears to be senile purpura.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based upon clinical history and query, my opinion is as follows:

1. In the elderly, blood vessels become thin walled and fragile. Even minor trauma can lead to bruise or petechiae due to associate fragile nature of skin and skin fragility.

2. These are called as senile purpura and vary in size from few mm to cm. Minor bruising is normal. Medications (NSAIDS - aspirin painkillers, thiazides), can increase risk or dietary deficiencies can also lead to bruise.
Fish oil, ginger, garlic have blood thinning effect and can also increase risk of purpura.

3. You need to take a diet rich in Vit A and C. Take good quantity of fluids, and avoid skin dryness. Use mild soaps. Frequent change in position is necessary to avoid damaging at same site. Prevention plays a very important role.

4. These lesions are painless and as they heal, the color changes from red to brown to black. Finally it slowly disappears. Repeat bruise will take much longer.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor