• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for painful intercourse

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi there Dr.

My wife and I have recently been married 3 months ago. We have been experiencing hi levels of difficulties when it comes to intercourse. Penetrative sex extremely painful for her.

To give you a bit of background we are each others first sexual partners, I'm 26 she is 25, she's has yet to receive any penetrative stimulation up and until we both attempted it together after our wedding.

Apart from the odd yeast infection she has had no other complications. The yeast infection was dealt with through prescription medication from a Dr. here in the UAE.

We have also seen a Gynecologist here in the UAE who ran test including a Pap smear and everything is of good standing in line with the test reports.

As such I'm sending this query to ask is a scenario like the one I am describing common among couples like ourselves? We have also tried to use painkillers, muscle relaxants and prescribed lubrication as well. While this has assisted somewhat, the feeling of pain by far surpasses the feeling of pleasure which is the main aim.

Is this a particular medical condition? Is there any options we can explore to assist in achieving a pleasure sexual life?

We are patiently working toward obtaining a solution and we are hoping from some input from you that may help.

Thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be vaginismus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description there is reasons to believe that vaginismus is likely cause for the problem.

This is a condition which is characterised by involuntary contraction of outer one third of vagina. This makes penetration either impossible or painful in contrast to sexual intercourse which is pleasurable as expected.

The condition is not uncommon and at least 2 to 4 percent of new couples experience this problem in early years of marriage. I think you couple are going through the same. PLEASE DO NOT RUSH THROUGH FOR INTERCOURSE.

The ideal solution for the couples facing this lies with proper sex education and counselling. This is done by a in person Psychiatrist or Psychologist. You can meet one in your city and very very common these days. This helps in relieving the fears of intercourse, takes off the veil of stigma around a woman.

In addition it is important to have more than enough time for foreplay, often up to couple of hours and not to rush for intercourse as long as both partners are ready for the act. I had couples who took months to overcome this who had no counseling. With counseling and education it reduces the time and comfort sets in to perform.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Dear Dr.

Thank you very much for the thorough and in depth response . It truly is an eye opener. We were very distressed thinking that there was something wrong with us..

If you don't mind me asking what is the actual cause of vaginismus ? Is the only form of relief having to undergo counseling from a psychologist or psychiatrist ?

Kindest regards,

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for follow up.

I am glad to know that information provided in above answer was useful for you.

Regarding the cause of vaginismus I like to inform you that it is often psychological arising from abnormal childhood experiences, misconceptions about sex and sexual intercourse, past trauma among others. In other words the cause often lies in our own culture or past.

As the causes is psychological so the treatment. Medication have some value in helping in anxiety but the prime mode of treatment is counselling.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.


Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 3157 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Pap smear

doctor1 MD

I had two daughters by ceasarian section, the last 15 years ago and in that area I feel swollen and pain. I am 52 years old and am going through...

doctor1 MD

Hi! I ve being having this yellowish vaginal discharge with a bad odor I had done a vaginal culture plus a pap smear both came out negative though...

doctor1 MD

My wife is a 51 yrs old she had heavy bleeding for 3 days and now ther is spotting for 2 days A transvaginal u/s was done it showed adnexae cyst on...

doctor1 MD

I ve been having lots of medical issues within the past year. I recently moved to a very cold place after having lived in Florida for about 15...

doctor1 MD

On 2014 i Had a TVS. Result was normal Pelvic utz. Fibroid is 21mm x 10 anterior subserosal. Is this cancerous? I’ll have it check after 3 years...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I’m a difficult case. I’m 53, unsure about menopause because I was bleeding daily for a few months. My regular gynecologist could not do a pap...

doctor1 MD

Hi I've had light bleeding for almost 2 weeks now it started as light pink then orangish red and it turned darker red but i only bleed in the early...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ashok Kumar
  • Q - How to have a successful sexual intercourse?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for OCD

  • Q - Suggest the sleep aids that i can use with Carvedilol?

  • Q - What causes sensitivity to sun light?

  • Q - Is it safe to have 120ml of alcohol everyday?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for orgasmic dysfunction

  • Q - Suggest treatment for non retraction of foreskin

  • Q - Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation

  • Q - How long do psychotic disorders take to get cured?

  • Q - What causes erectile dysfuntion?