Suggest treatment for pain radiating from left flank area to the leg

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Pain radiates from lumbar around left flank area electrical radiates to heat left front. Started after playing golf, I was previously diagnosed with L4 bulging disc and orthopedic wanted to do fusion due sciatic nerve on right side that was affecting leg below knee floppy ankle or lost of strength back in February. This new symptom showed early XXXXXXX and symptom did not changed plan seeing an neuro surgeon for both.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
There may be possibility of another disc prolapse near to previous operated region.
Possibility of muscular pain if no sensory abnormalities in lower limbs.
You need to avoid excessive stooping forward, squatting, sitting crossed leg, lifting heavy objects.
Take pain killers with muscle relaxant like etoricoxib or Aceclofenac with thiocholchicoside or tizanidine.
Pain modulator drugs like pregabalin or amitryptiline or gabapentin can be used.
Visit a neurosurgeon for evaluation and repeat imaging if needed.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng