• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the left calf muscles

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: hi I got pain in my left café for 3 weeks theres allways pain hurts more when I cough I had xray and sonogram done everything is good did therapeutic therapy it hurt a lot more for 12 hours now back to the same pain again don't know what to do
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscle pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello ! Thank you for asking Health Care Magic.
I have gone through your question.

Please can you give me some more Information about your concerns :
-With "Café" you mean left calf ( the back of the lower leg ) , right?
-How can you describe the pain( cramping,)
- Are you using any medications? (painkilles)
-Do you have any problems using your leg ( can you walk properly?
-Do you do any kind of sports ?

Besides pulled muscles, another reason could be calf cramps after over using the leg ( over stretching ).The treatment would be :

-Painkillers ( oral ibuprofen) , or local painkillers.
-rest ( avoid movement that require the work of calf muscles -jumping , running, over stretching)

-Increse intake of Potasium ( kalium ),magnesium sometimes the lack of potassium in your muscles is the reason of leg cramping and delay the recovery( eat banana ,avocado, beans , potatos, spinach ) .
-Massage gently the area .
-Use warm compreses.

Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 5 hours later
my left leg iam a electrican up and down ladders it hurts all the time but wose when walking and up and down ladders I don't take pain killers only naproxen or advil then pain is lower for 6 hours then comes back strong.do you think its something to do with a nerve or how long before getting better its been 3 weeks
Brief Answer:
Muscles pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
Thank you for the information.

I think that is muscles pain , usually nerve pain is presented with numbness, tingling , weakness...
The work you do ( go up and down the stairs) requires to use your calf muscles .

So the muscles that should rest ( left leg) still is working hard that makes the pain worse and come back also delay the recovery.

Sonetimed it takes more than 3 weeks to fully recover , the time of recovery depends of :How severe is the damage and also how much you rest the danaged muscles.
I would recommend to follow the advices i wrote to you .Advil ( ibuprofen , 200 mg / every 4-6 hours )and Naproxen are painkillers .

Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rudina Balliu