question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the knee while having herniated disc

Posted on Mon, 26 Dec 2016
Question: I'm currently taking eloquis 5mg morning and night due to 3 previous DVT all behind my right knee. I also take metformin 500mg morning and night to help control insulin resistant pcos.

I recently discovered on MRI that I have a small disc protrusion at L45 and a large one at S12. both my right nerve and left nerve are affected but all my symptoms are on the right which is where the big one is.....a friend suggested trying lyrica for pain management instead Tylenol 3s. is that OK with my blood thinners???
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Tylenol can betaken for pain associated with disc protrusion.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Intervertebral disc protrusion or prolapse are associated with pain.
Management of pain requires rest and pain killers.
Tylenol is appropriate for pain, however, lyrica is not meant for pain associated with disc protrusion or prolapse.
Lyrica is an anti-epileptic drug.
You can take tylenol along with blood thinners.
In addition, I would suggest you to consult your orthopedician for management if disc protrusion because pain killers can provide only symptomatic relief and it is not a definitive treatment.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist