Suggest treatment for severe back pain after a fall

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I fell back on to my back three weeks ago. I had an x-ray while in the ER this past Saturday and I was told that one of the vertebrae is out of alignment. I am in horrific pain which I am treating at home with a lot of Motrin which helps short term. Should I be concerned or will this heal over time?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Short term muscle relaxants and physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Maam

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. X rays will have minimum information about spine. Vertebrae not aligned means there can be intervertebral disc bulge or dessication. These findings will be visible in MRI only.
For such condition If you were my patient then I would suggest a short course of NSAID drugs like Aceclofenac, muscle relaxants like Thiocolchicoside and methylprednisolone. This usually I give for 1 week.
After that I advise physiotherapy like TENS. If no improvement traction is advised also. Using lumbosacral corset belts also is helpful.
If there is not much complications like nerve compression this will improve gradually. If no improvement then go for an MRI lumbosacral spine to know the exact status.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D