Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe back pain after a fall

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 5173 Questions
I fell back on to my back three weeks ago. I had an x-ray while in the ER this past Saturday and I was told that one of the vertebrae is out of alignment. I am in horrific pain which I am treating at home with a lot of Motrin which helps short term. Should I be concerned or will this heal over time?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Short term muscle relaxants and physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Maam

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. X rays will have minimum information about spine. Vertebrae not aligned means there can be intervertebral disc bulge or dessication. These findings will be visible in MRI only.
For such condition If you were my patient then I would suggest a short course of NSAID drugs like Aceclofenac, muscle relaxants like Thiocolchicoside and methylprednisolone. This usually I give for 1 week.
After that I advise physiotherapy like TENS. If no improvement traction is advised also. Using lumbosacral corset belts also is helpful.
If there is not much complications like nerve compression this will improve gradually. If no improvement then go for an MRI lumbosacral spine to know the exact status.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor